According to Statista.com, there are 47,140 healthcare appsavailable on app stores in 2020. These stats justify how mobile applications have become a leading part of almost every sector, including Healthcare. The increasing health risks have raised the demand for on-demand health applications. If you have decided to build a health app for your users, it is essential to cover all the vital parts an app requires. In this post, we will discuss the type, trends, and features of healthcare app development that helps in making your app more useful and robust.
Let’s start with the types and features of healthcare app development–
Before starting developing a healthcare app, make sure you are well-aware of its types. Usually, people assume that there are only 2-3 types of an app like a fitness app, meditation app, or any particular hospital app. But the healthcare sector is not limited to that only; the following are the types of apps from which you can pick your desired niche to develop.
Types of healthcare app development-
- Patient’s App: This application is developed for the patients to get medical help anytime and anywhere. The app involves every single feature that helps the patient connect with their care providers, consultation, or the nearest hospital. With this application, patients can book their appointment with the doctors, track their health reports, and check their health status.
- Doctors-on-demand App: This application helps both patients and doctors. The patients can search, book, and consult with their nearest or preferred doctor. The app includes the data of all the doctors of every category; whether it is a neurologist or physiotherapist, patients can ask for medical help by consulting with them over chat, messages, and video calls. Doctors can prescribe e-prescription to the patient in time of emergency via the application.
- Electronic Health Record App: As the name describes, this kind of application is used to store the patient’s sensitive health information safe and secure. The app stores the entire data in a digital format that can be shared with anyone across multiple care settings. It helps in reducing the paperwork and streamlines the health record-keeping system.
- Medication Reminder App- If a patient forgot to take his/her medication on time, this app is a perfect solution for them. This application makes the medication process easier. Wonder? How? In this app, patients only require to put the type and time; rest is all done by the app. The app sends notifications via an alarm or beeps to the patients and reminds them of their medication. Not only this, it will suggest to you the way of taking medicines like “take it with food,” “take this one with milk,” etc.
- Symptoms-Checker App- The application helps in tracing the symptoms of common diseases. With the mentioned health symptoms, you can identify and compare your health instantly. For instance, you need to put symptoms like cough, cold, or headache, the app will ask a few questions, after answering all the questions correctly, it gives the exact results.
- E-Prescription App- Patients do not require to submit paper prescriptions to pharmacists anymore. With the e-prescription app, they can send their prescriptions directly to the pharmacy electronically. Such apps reduce the waste of papers and save time and cost for both patients and medicines providers.
- Health & Wellness Apps- These applications help in keeping people fit and healthy. We can easily find many apps like dieting, calorie-counters, healthy eating, running steps, and others in this category. These applications offer millions of healthy food recipes and exercise videos that help people eat proper food and stay fit.
So, these are a few types of healthcare applications that are quite popular among users. If we see the market size of these applications, then they are already doing wonders. From the apps mentioned above, you can study, research, select, and develop an app that fits your idea and business requirement.
Moving forward, now let’s discuss what features of healthcare app development are demanding?
Features of the Patient’s app-
- User Profile- It is essential to create a profile for accessing the application. This feature allows users to create their profile with some details, including name, age, mobile number, mail id, and address.
- Appointment- With this feature, the patients can book an online appointment with their preferred doctor as per the availability. Once the appointment is confirmed, the user can check it in their schedule options.
- Telemedicine: It is one of the best healthcare apps that saves time and cost for patients and doctors. It allows the patients to visit the doctor electronically. The users only require to put their symptoms and book an appointment. After the confirmation, the patients receive an e-receipt about the time-slot with their doctor. At a given time, the patients can connect with their consultants via video calls or audio calls.
- Pill Reminder- This feature acts as a reminder that helps patients to take their medicines on time. The users will receive push notifications via alarms and tones. It also helps the doctors in tracking the health progress of their patients.
Features of Doctor’s app-
- Doctor’s profile: Under this section, doctors can create their profile by filling in the essential information, including their names, number, specialization, age, and others. It helps the patients in finding their right doctor at the right time.
- Schedule Management- This feature helps doctors manage their appointments. The doctors can check the type of appointment requests and approve or reject them based on their availability.
- Patient’s dashboard: With this feature, the doctors can view the patient’s personal and clinical information on their screen. The dashboard covers all the necessary information like patient diagnosis history, nutritional values, lab results, past medications, treatments history, radiology documents, etc.
- E-prescription: It allows doctors to write and send prescriptions to their patients digitally. They can even refill the prescriptions and view the patient’s history if required.
Features of HIS (Healthcare Information System)-
This portal is used to handle the hospitals’ complete operations and healthcare institutions, including payment management, doctor management, inventory management, etc.
- Payment Management- This feature generates automatic payment receipts for every patient and keeps complete records of every single payment.
- Inventory Management- It is essential to manage the hospital’s inventory. Generally, the hospital staff handles it, but it is time-consuming and costly. This feature assists in keeping the records of inventory updated and on-time without any error.
- Doctor Management- This feature is used in managing the doctors and nursing data of the hospital. Whenever required, one can check the availability of the doctors and nurses with this.
Latest Trends in Healthcare app development-
- Use of Telemedicine
- Wearable Integration
- Use of AI-based application to diagnose chronic disease
- Use of Blockchain for data security
- Use of Big data analytics for keeping the data safe and secure for medical analysis.
Today, healthcare app development services are entirely revamping, which benefits hospitals, doctors, and patients. The advancement in technologies has wholly changed treatment and communication between the medical services providers and people.
It is a great sign and a high time for start-ups and business minds to invest in healthcare app development.